The Basic Accounting Workplace (GAO) confirmed in their most recent report, claims what MANY have been saying for 50 years relating to truck underride fatalities.
“There are many and they are under reported.”
The March 26 Crash test Event in D.C. demonstrated how the fatalities may be prevented.
An underride crash happens when a automotive slides underneath a large truck, comparable to a semi-trailer, throughout an accident. When these accidents happen, a automotive’s safety options are rendered useless because a lot of the automotive slides underneath the trailer and the truck crashes straight by way of the home windows and into the passengers. The passengers in the automotive typically endure severe head and neck injuries, together with decapitation. These accidents are sometimes fatal, even at low speeds.
Studies and pilot packages present that a simple barrier hooked up to the lower area of a truck, referred to as an “underride guard,” would assist forestall a automotive from sliding beneath a truck in an accident. Underneath current federal regulation, underride guards aren’t required to be on the edges or entrance of vans. Underride guards are already required for the again of a truck, but the requirements are outdated. The bipartisan Stop Underrides Act would require underride guards on the edges and entrance of a truck and would update the outdated standards for underride guards on the back of vans.
March 26th 2019 Crash Test Demonstration
The GAO report follows a crash-test demonstration in Washington D.C.
On March 26, 2019, the crash test was hosted by Marianne and Jerry Karth and Lois Durso to reveal the efficacy of aspect underride guards. The checks used Chevy Malibus because the bullet automotive, hanging the aspect of a tractor trailer at about 30 mph, with and with out aspect underride guards. Business representatives, and employees members from the Department of Transportation, the Senate commerce committee, and the House Transportation and Infrastructure committee watched because the aspect underride guards engaged the Malibu, crushing the front finish, but leaving the windshield and roof intact
Concerning the above Video
Aspect Underride Crash Test. Insurance Institute for Freeway Safety (IIHS) ran two 35-mph crash exams impacting a 53 foot dry van trailer at a 90 degree angle: Video on bottom has an AngelWing aspect underride protection gadget from Airflow Deflector Inc. a
Video on prime exhibits crash test with a fiberglass aspect skirt meant to improve aerodynamics, not to forestall underride.
The GAO launched results of a study to help the consideration of the STOP Underrides Act (S. 666 / H.R. 1511), which would, amongst other issues, require the trucking business improve its installation of these protecting guards. The title of the GAO report, Truck Underride Guards- Improved Knowledge Collection, Inspections, and Research Wanted, summed up the report’s central conclusions.
The GAO report incorporates 46 pages of eye opening info, however what I found most beautiful was the number of underride fatalities which have been underneath reported at the scene of the accident. ~Allen Smith~
In line with the March GAO report:
From 2008 by means of 2017, a mean of about 219 fatalities from underride crashes involving giant vans have been reported yearly, representing less than 1 % of complete visitors fatalities over that time-frame. Nevertheless, these fatalities are possible underreported on account of variability in state and local knowledge assortment. For example, cops responding to a crash do not use an ordinary definition of an underride crash and states’ crash report types range, with some not together with a area for accumulating underride knowledge.
Further, cops receive restricted info on how you can determine and report underride crashes. In consequence, NHTSA might not have accurate knowledge to help efforts to scale back visitors fatalities.
Comparatively, the FARS (Fatality Evaluation Reporting System) knowledge present an annual common of about 34,700 complete visitors fatalities and roughly 4,000 fatalities involving giant vans over the identical period. Subsequently, “reported” underride crash fatalities on average accounted for less than 1 % of complete visitors fatalities and 5.5 % of all fatalities related to giant truck crashes throughout this time-frame.
If all underrides have been counted precisely, these figures would little question be considerably greater.
GAO recommends that DOT take steps to offer a standardized definition of underride crashes and knowledge fields, share info with police departments on figuring out underride crashes, establish annual inspection requirements for rear guards, and conduct further analysis on aspect underride guards. DOT concurred with GAO’s suggestions.
U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) and U.S. Representatives Steve Cohen (D-TN) and Mark DeSaulnier (D-CA) reintroduced on March 5th 2019,bipartisan, bicameral laws, the Cease Underrides Act, to assist forestall deadly truck underride crashes.
Cease Underride Act Senate invoice S.665
Stop Underrides Act House bill H.R. 1511
The invoice was first launched in the Senate in December 2017
–S.2219 – Cease Underrides Act of 2017
AsktheTrucker has written about Underrides up to now and will proceed to encourage dialog between truckers, the business, and proponents for Underrides.
1 Unknown details about underride crashes and prevention
2 Underride Guard Mandate: A Counterargument to Business Opposition
Extra concerning the March 26th reside crash testing occasion
The Stop Underrides workforce of volunteers pulled together to create a memorable reside crash testing occasion a couple of miles from the nation’s capital. The multi disciplinary group of security advocates and engineers illustrated how simple semitrailer guards can really turn what would have been fatal collisions into minor accidents.
Safety engineers and professionals shared their information and thoughts in a Panel Dialogue on the underride concern on the D.C. Underride Crash Test Occasion on March 26, 2019:
- David Friedman, Shopper Stories, VP, Advocacy, formerly the CR Director of Automobiles and Product Policy and Analysis, former NHTSA Appearing Administrator
- Malcolm Deighton, engineer with Hydro, which provides aluminum for manufacturing underride protecting units and trailer elements and which produces comprehensive underride protection know-how in Europe
- Glen Berry, Safety Director for Thomas Transport Delivery, AngelWing put in since 2017, truck driver
- Perry Ponder, inventor of AngelWing, engineer with an accident reconstruction engineering firm
- David Dorrity, worked for Stevens Transport for years and testifies everywhere in the country on protected trucking practices.
- Aaron Kiefer, forensic engineer & crash reconstructionist, inventor of SafetySkirt
Moderated by Andy Younger, truck litigation lawyer and CDL holder.
MGA Research offered crash test dummies and excessive velocity video footage whereas Collision Safety Consulting (Aaron Kiefer’s company) carried out the checks themselves by way of custom car tow methods. Hydro NA (OEM provider to trailer manufacturers) donated engineering personnel and expertise while AnnaLeah and Mary for Truck Safety ALMFTS and StopUnderrides.org conceived and anchored the occasion. Andy Younger MC’d whereas Glenn Berry donated round journey supply of a trailer and a power unit for the testing.
The staff put together three consecutive aspect collisions using Chevy Malibu sedans into 53 ft semitrailers. The automobiles have been towed into the “T-bone” collisions at or near 30 mph. So as, they crashed a trailer guarded with the Angelwing, a trailer protected by the SafetySkirt, and then an unguarded trailer.
The Angelwing is a metal lattice that fits between the touchdown gear and twin trailer axles. It’s designed by Perry Ponder, manufactured for Airflow Deflector, and at present out there for buy. This guard has been examined during 40 mph collisions, and possible will forestall underride at even greater collision speeds.
The Safetyskirt is a laminated panel that mixes a standard trailer skirt with a woven textile backer that anchors on the landing gear and the rear corner of the trailer to stop an underride. The system is in improvement by Aaron Kiefer of TrailerGuards.com. The system appears and looks like a full size skirt that encloses the rear axles for security and aerodynamic profit. Testing signifies further drag discount (gasoline financial savings) of 2-4% above and beyond present trailer skirts and no difficulty with negotiating throughout curbs, medians, or into loading docks. Engineers are engaged on designing in adequate entry around the axles and wheels for pre trip inspections and tire modifications whereas preserving gasoline financial savings. An proprietor operator will probably be conducting over the street testing this summer time of a SafetySkirt outfitted dry van trailer.
Properly engineered guarding solutions are a win-win for drivers and for freight carriers.
NO aspect underride protection:
All three crashes simultaneously
On Saturday April 27th at 6PM et we will probably be having an interview and open discussion regarding Underrides. Friends on the show can be:
Jerry Karth and Marianne Karth and Lois Durso are advocates for Underrides and have lost loved ones as a consequence of Underride crashes. Contrary to what many might speculate, these underride deaths weren’t the fault of either Four wheeler. One was an improper truck lane change, and the other was icy roads. You possibly can read their stories here.
Karth family and Lois Durso
Perry Ponder, inventor of AngelWing, engineer with an accident reconstruction engineering firm
Aaron Kiefer, forensic engineer & crash reconstructionist, inventor of SafetySkirt
Andy Young, CDL holder and truck litigation lawyer
We’ll handle with the panel some of trucking’s major considerations and can be taking calls 347-826-9170
- maximize cargo area
- injury to skirting
- power absorbent materials
- Incline grades- Traveling up and then down grades
- Means to entry underneath trailer
- upkeep and installation prices
- Are underrides a one measurement matches all?
- What are the conclusions of the NHTSA relating to underrides?
- Higher training for CDL drivers and Four wheelers
- Media Reviews & Video Footage Unveil Highlights of the Profitable D.C. Underride Crash Test Occasion If you were not capable of witness the Underride Crash Checks in D.C. in individual on March 26, then the subsequent neatest thing is to see the media coverage of this necessary occasion and to view the video footage of all three checks of a automotive colliding at approximately 30 mph with the aspect of a tractor-trailer. . .Learn extra here.
- Video of the Underride Panel Dialogue on the D.C. Underride Crash Test Occasion, March 26, 2019 Safety engineers and professionals share their information and ideas in a Panel Discussion on the underride difficulty at theC. Underride Crash Test Eventon March 26, 2019. . . Learn more right here.
Media Coverage of the march 26th D.C. Underride Crash Test Event:
- WRAL Raleigh, Rocky Mount mom pushes for aspect guards for vans after daughters’ deaths
- Albuquerque Journal, Mother and father marketing campaign to make semi-trailer vans safer
- WDRB Charlestown, Indiana, Native mom of underride crash victim pushes for semi-truck security laws
- CBS4 Denver, Colorado Lady Preventing For Regulation To Make Semi-Trailers Safer
- Legal Reader, DC Truck Underride Crash Checks Help New Safety Legislation
- Security Research, Underride Activists Campaign with Crash Exams
- WYMT Kentucky, Lethal crashes: Families push for brand spanking new legislation regulating tractor-trailers
- WXYZ Detroit, Mother and father of crash victims push Congress to cross regulation requiring guards for tractor-trailers
- WUSA9 Washington, D.C., Dramatic crash exams outdoors Audi Area show risks of semi-trailer
- WUSA9 Washington, D.C., Crash exams show risks of semi-trailer
- WJLA7 ABC, Mothers who misplaced daughters in lethal semi crashes push for tractor trailer guardrails
- CBS17 Raleigh, Advocates work towards preventing underride crashes with tractor trailers
- WUSA9 livestreamed the event. Archived video could be found here.
- WUSA9 Washington, D.C., Dramatic crash checks outdoors Audi Subject show dangers of semi-trailer
Truck Underride Guards Abbreviations
CVSA Business Car Safety Alliance
DOT Division of Transportation
FARS Fatality Analysis Reporting System
FMCSA Federal Motor Service Safety Administration
IIHS Insurance Institute for Freeway Safety
MMUCC Model Minimal Uniform Crash Criteria
NHTSA National Freeway Visitors Security Administration
NTSB National Transportation Security Board
NPRM notice of proposed rulemaking
ANPRM advance discover of proposed rulemaking
© 2019, Allen Smith. All rights reserved.