Have you ever been eager to plan an arts and crafts birthday celebration for your baby, but don’t actually know methods to manage it and what crafts to choose? Properly, let me make it easier to! I’ve executed plenty of events and I assumed it was time I share my 20 greatest concepts with you. Plus my ideas and tips on how one can hold youngsters targeted and completely satisfied.
[ I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn small fees at no cost to you by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. ]
I’ll group the arts and crafts into categories. But simply know that there is numerous crossover, and you possibly can actually choose anything and adapt it to your baby’s age.
First I will share all the artwork tasks, then I will share my ideas and tips and speak about how one can set your self up for success!
- 1 Arts and Crafts for ages Four-8
- 2 Arts and Crafts for ages 6-12
- 3 Arts and Crafts for All Ages
- 4 Vacation Arts and Crafts
- 5 Ideas & Tips for a Successful Birthday Party
- 6 Did you want this publish? Listed here are extra concepts you may like:
Arts and Crafts for ages Four-8
1. Popsicle Paints
I used a silicone popsicle mould, and I like making smaller popsicles as a result of there’s much less probability of them breaking as they soften. Buy several molds so you’ll be able to convey out new ones as the primary batch is used up. I exploit sulphite paper, which is the right weight – not too thin, not too heavy. Work ought to dry within about 30 minutes. Kids will LOVE this fun method to paint!
Right here’s what you’ll want:
~ Popsicle molds
~ Tempera paint (you possibly can combine colours, but don’t add water)
~ Small bowls or plates for each colour
~ Sulphite paper
2. Cupcake Liner Flowers
This artwork exercise is one which the youngsters can maintain coming back to, it’s good for little ones who are feeling wiggly and can’t sit for too lengthy. I might recommend getting a couple of totally different units of cool and unusual markers to keep the youngsters engaged. Learn more right here for provide listing and directions.
3. Sock Caterpillars
I did this art challenge once at a library event with 100 youngsters coming via. It was epic! Little ones will want some grownup help, however they love “feeding” the caterpillar and watching it develop! An exquisite take-home handmade toy. I received the thought from the ever-creative Purple Twig. Learn extra here for provide listing and instructions.
Four. Patchwork Homes
I’ve completed these with material scraps, paper collage scraps, stickers, washi tape, and all types of various paints and markers. That’s what I really like about flat cardboard shapes, you actually can put out something to embellish! Learn extra here for provide record and directions.
5. Paper Crowns
Crowns are all the time an enormous hit as a result of they’re wearable and immediately festive. I’ve executed them many various ways. You actually need to start out with paper that is about 20 inches long (this is able to accommodate all types of child head sizes). That is why I typically use brown paper grocery luggage like in this submit, as a result of they are often minimize into lengthy crowns. However if you need white crowns, then right here’s what you will want:
~ Long paper reduce into Four″ strips
~ Colored paper reduce into triangles
~ Glue sticks
~ Liquid watercolor
~ Q-tips or paint brushes
~ Oil pastels
~ Different collage material
~ A stapler to make the crown spherical (utilizing the child’s head to measure)
6. Clothespin Individuals
I typically set out a clothespin individuals station during my art camp weeks in the summer. When omitted all day, the youngsters maintain returning and they develop into super artistic. I as soon as did these at a huge, 2-day occasion in Brooklyn referred to as ShopUp. Youngsters from ages three up to tweens have been making clothespin individuals all day. They LOVED it!! Click on right here for provide record, and here to see the youngsters in action at ShopUp.
Arts and Crafts for ages 6-12
These will take about an hour and a half at a birthday celebration. And relying on how many youngsters, you will want some mother or father helpers. I have carried out these with 5-yr olds and I minimize out some paper feathers for them to paint as an alternative of stitching a puffy heart. And you can do one pom-pom as an alternative of two in the event you run out of time. Learn extra here for provides and directions.
8. Paper Bag Stars
Kids just love making these stars! Through the years, we’ve embellished them a number of alternative ways. We’ve got painted them, we now have used chalk markers, and typically we’ve even used a hole punch do add a luminary high quality. Read this tutorial on methods to turn atypical lunch luggage into these lovely paper stars.
Right here’s what you’ll need:
~ Brown lunch luggage or white lunch luggage
~ Glue sticks
~ Fluorescent tempera desserts
~ White chalk markers
~ Hole punch
9. Pom-pom Necklaces
This is another favourite smash hit at birthday parties. I discover that at about age 5 or 6, the youngsters actually have the hand-eye coordination to make use of the pom-pom makers. I don’t have a very good tutorial, however they are fairly simple, so I’ll inform you what I do.
Pre-cut the yarn or string that you’ll use because the necklace. After making the pom-pom (comply with directions on the pom-pom maker), use one of many pre-cut lengths to tie across the pom-pom. I minimize long pieces, like about 28″ as a result of you’ll be able to all the time minimize it down. Let the youngsters trim their pom-pom while holding the long string so as not to minimize it. I then tape the ends of the strings together to make it like a shoelace. This makes it easier to bead. The youngsters can then add beads – or not – and then I tie it round their necks.
Right here’s what you’ll need:
~ Pom-pom makers
~ Yarn (I get mine from Michaels principally)
~ Good scissors
~ Pre-cut yarn or string, about 28″ items
~ Tape, to tape the ends together like a shoelace for beading
~ Beads, pony beads are nice as well as these picket beads
10. Washi Tape Butterflies
These are tremendous straightforward to prep. For littler youngsters, I typically pre-cut the tape pieces and stick them round a plate. They must be smaller pieces for this technique. But I’ve had decided Four-year olds peel and reduce the tape all by themselves. Older youngsters actually spend time making patterns. Remind all youngsters to continue the tape outdoors the strains, so once they minimize out their butterfly the sample will go right to the sides. Read here for supply listing, template, and instructions.
Arts and Crafts for All Ages
11. Paper Pinwheels
I make these from sulphite paper. I often make one per youngster, and then a pair additional. They are labor intensive to make, but I do it at night time once I’m watching a present with my household. These are all the time such an enormous hit and end up so beautiful! Read right here for provide listing and instructions.
12. Cardboard Box Cake
This one is from my e-book, Artwork Workshop for Youngsters. I’ve been tagged on Instagram more than 100 occasions by people who have used this idea for their baby’s birthday celebration. Listed here are a couple of…
From prime left, going clockwise: @creatingcreatives, @theartgardenblog, @scarletterosefairy, @zionchik
Here’s what you’ll want for Cardboard Desserts:
~ Three or extra bins in graduated sizing
~ Tempera paint
~ Another collage material you may need to add
~ Coloured paper to roll into candles
13. Birthday Baby Identify Banner
I all the time do a birthday banner station at each celebration (read my about stations under). And I all the time adorn the paper with frames (I received this idea from The Clever Mother or father years in the past). Read extra right here about provides and course of.
14. Cardboard Animals
The hardest half about this venture is chopping the animals. However after that, cardboard animals are all the time a HUGE hit! I might recommend slicing extras, and make them even greater than these for those who can so that the youngsters have more floor to cowl and take more time. It’s also possible to add tons more collage material to keep it going. Read more right here about provides, directions, and a horse template. You may as well used templates from this publish.
15. Rainbow Collage
Another favorite and highly regarded party craft. This one takes a little bit of time amassing and chopping up totally different rainbow colored collage materials. But… once that’s finished, this is certainly one of my best activities to prep. You can even add in tempera paint in rainbow colors when you have much less collage supplies. Perhaps paint first, then collage. Learn here about materials and instructions.
16. Cardboard Sweets
Sweets are ALWAYS widespread, it doesn’t matter what time of yr. We now have completed cupcakes, donuts, and ice cream cones. You should use any collage supplies combined with paint or oil pastels (I don’t often combine tempera with oil pastels, decide just one). Additionally, the bigger the better! However do maintain your area in thoughts when chopping. For those who only have a small table, perhaps keep smaller. However in case you have all of out of doors and numerous table and flooring area, reduce greater!
17. Painted Cake
This is only a enjoyable concept for cake time, and works rather well with a small group. You may also make individual cupcakes for a much bigger group. Learn extra here.
Vacation Arts and Crafts
18. Cardboard Turkey
This concept got here from a scholar. Her birthday was in November and she really needed a Thanksgiving themed birthday celebration, which I assumed was awesome. I searched the internet and discovered an artwork instructor who had made cardboard turkeys. I confirmed my art scholar, and she jumped for joy! This was a multi-age celebration and everyone was so into making these birds. Learn here about provide listing and instructions.
19. Painted Pumpkins
I have a trick to getting actually shiny colours when portray pumpkins. Learn all about it here! For this venture, be sure to have some flat cardboard items for mother and father to put down of their automotive when going house. The pumpkins is probably not absolutely dry.
20. Gingerbread Houses
My daughter’s birthday is in December so I’ve accomplished my justifiable share of gingerbread house parties. I have it right down to a science, and am sharing two really good tips to creating this course of straightforward. Learn extra here.
21. Wire & Beaded Ornaments
This can be a fantastic, mess-free concept for the holidays! These ornaments can never ever go incorrect, so they are good for all ages. The secret is within the prep (because it all the time is) and getting a great combination of textures for the beading. We added some felt items which made them so whimsical. Read more here and get the supplies and directions.
22. Cardboard Gingerbread Individual
This idea comes from @MAKEartstudios who was type sufficient to share it on my blog! How cute are these guys? She additionally has a very cool selfmade puffy paint recipe which you’re going to need to attempt. The youngsters will go nuts for this! Read extra here.
Ideas & Tips for a Successful Birthday Party
Arts and Crafts Party Planning
The key to any great social gathering is in the prep. This is especially true for child parties, and much more true for kid ART parties. My objective is to carry their attention for an hour. That’s my assure for mother and father. With little ones, ages three and Four, it’s more like 45 minutes. The best way I obtain this is totally different for totally different ages. Let me break it down.
Planning for Littles (ages Four-6):
1. I all the time have three stations for the youthful ages. One is all the time a birthday banner as a result of it’s an awesome place to ship them to if they’re finished with the other two tables. The banner isn’t completed, you possibly can all the time add to it ?
2. Select very open-ended arts and crafts for this age, where there isn’t any right or fallacious method to do one thing. You don’t need to have to show them one thing new, they should already have all the talents they need so that there is a low frustration degree and they primarily just enjoying. It’s a party, in any case, and they really just need to play.
three. Let them come and go as they please. Little ones wish to circle back to issues, so let them. If you’d like them to remain somewhat longer, you possibly can say “add two more colors” or “add five more collage pieces”, something to entice them to proceed. But typically a toddler is simply carried out.
Four. I don’t have chairs at the table for this age, until they are actually petite or a toddler sibling needs to hitch and then then can kneel on a stool. However youthful youngsters actually need to move round, and standing allows more room on the desk and provides the hour of arts and crafts more power. Youngsters can transfer from table to table with ease.
5. Make it possible for whatever you narrow out from cardboard (cupcakes, animals, and so forth.) is the fitting measurement for your area. I once minimize out donuts that have been really huge, however the area I went to was small and it was raining outdoors so the youngsters needed to work in pairs. It was not best.
Planning for Older Kids (ages 6-12)
1. With older youngsters, you might have the opportunity to teach something new, like dream catchers or pom-pom necklaces or paper bag stars. They like one thing more educational. I will still do three stations with the older youngsters, but when one is educational then the opposite two must be open-ended. The only exception is dreamcatchers. Those take about an hour and a half, and often you don’t need a 3rd station as a result of there isn’t time. So I might just do the dreamcatchers and a birthday banner.
2. This age group loves just a little autonomy and are thrilled to make something for their rooms, or one thing with their names on it. You don’t have to select from the tasks above, I also have a lot of concepts on my “Crafternoon” Pinterest board.
Arts and Crafts Party Prep
1. The key to any well-run get together is within the prep. First you propose (see above), then you definitely prep. Choose your three stations, then make lists. Make your listing of provides, then see what you’ve got in the house before you purchase. Otherwise, order from Amazon for comfort, or go to your native craft retailer.
2. After you have all of your supplies, it’s time to prep all the materials. Whether or not its slicing cardboard, chopping collage materials, making pinwheels, or mixing paint colors, it’s time to get it all ready. When you could have completed one prep merchandise, cross it off the listing.
three. Now you might have all your provides, and all of materials. It’s time to make a “day of” checklist. Mine seems to be like this (just one example of a celebration):
~ Brown paper for tables
~ Draw banner, deliver masking tape and sharpie, tempera desserts, brushes, glasses for water
~ Paper pinwheels (plus three additional), watercolors, gold tempera, brushes, glasses for water, gap punch, yarn pieces (pre-cut), beads, bowls for beads and yarn
~ Pop-pom makers, basket of yarn, longer yarn items pre-cut, scissors, beads, bowls or trays for beads and yarn pieces, necklace display
4. I am a traveling artwork woman, so I match the whole lot into one huge plastic field. However in case you are doing this at house, I might recommend having a staging area in another room. Perhaps you’ll be able to even put up a table in there, or use a table that’s already in there. You possibly can lay out every little thing you want for every station, and have it able to go on social gathering day.
5. I do mentally visualize the day. This helps me with any sudden hiccups. I actually close my eyes and undergo every station. The birthday banner station is straightforward, that’s just about getting it drawn out before the visitors arrive and laying out the paints and water. You’ll have to vary the water midway by way of. I then take into consideration siblings, their age and what they could need that is totally different from the other youngsters, or a toddler who doesn’t but have a talent, or a toddler who isn’t . I additionally assume ahead to pick-up, and how mother and father are going to transport wet, painted gadgets. If I have a tempera paint desk, I all the time deliver additional pieces of cardboard that oldsters can put down within the automotive. Or newspaper.
6. Lastly, have something else planned for after the arts and crafts. This may be very primary, like enjoying outdoors or adorning cupcakes or enjoying a recreation. For the youngsters who just undoubtedly don’t need to do arts and crafts, you’ve gotten a back-up concept for them. Birthday parties are totally different than artwork courses because not everybody there likes to do artwork.
And that’s principally the best way I do parties! I hope that is helpful. Be happy to ask me any questions in any respect.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –